U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
New Bedford, MA
A 41-year-old female asked:

I have carpal tunnel in my wrist. i'm feeling this throbbing pain that shoots up from my arm to my shoulder. what should i do?

4 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Charles Davant
Family Medicine 50 years experience
Probably still CTS: Carpel tunnel syndrome pain can sometimes be referred all the way up the arm.
Dr. Gebrehana Zebro (formerly Woldegiorgis)
Internal Medicine 33 years experience
It seems that: You already know your problem. Have you been seen by your pcp/neurologist ? Did you have nerve conduction or similar test? I want to make sure that you have carpal tunnel but nothing else . If it is confirmed by your doc, please follow their recommendation and treatment plan. Wrist splint , some medication that have effect on nerve irritation like Cymbalta (duloxetine) /gabapentin . Good luck.
Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 45 years experience
Not carpal tunnel: Shooting pain in the upper arm and shoulder cannot be attributed to carpal tunnel syndrome which is due to median nerve entrapment in the wrist. The median n supplies the thumb, pointer, middle, and half of the 4th finger.
Dr. Binod Shah
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine 34 years experience
Wrist splint: First of all you need to confirm the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome by having nerve conduction and EMG test being done by physiatrist or neurologist. Once confirmed, then wrist splint will help for mild to moderate case and surgery for moderate to severe cases depending on severity and difficulty in doing adl, s. Cervical radiculopathy ( impingement of nerve in neck) needs to be ruled out.
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.