New Bedford, MA

I have carpal tunnel in my wrist. i'm feeling this throbbing pain that shoots up from my arm to my shoulder. what should i do?

Dr. Charles Davant
Probably still CTS: Carpel tunnel syndrome pain can sometimes be referred all the way up the arm.
Dr. Gebrehana Zebro (formerly Woldegiorgis)
It seems that: You already know your problem. Have you been seen by your pcp/neurologist ? Did you have nerve conduction or similar test? I want to make sure that you have carpal tunnel but nothing else . If it is confirmed by your doc, please follow their recommendation and treatment plan. Wrist splint , some medication that have effect on nerve irritation like Cymbalta (duloxetine) /gabapentin . Good luck.
Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 45 years experience
Not carpal tunnel: Shooting pain in the upper arm and shoulder cannot be attributed to carpal tunnel syndrome which is due to median nerve entrapment in the wrist. The median n supplies the thumb, pointer, middle, and half of the 4th finger.
Dr. Binod Shah
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine 34 years experience
Wrist splint: First of all you need to confirm the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome by having nerve conduction and EMG test being done by physiatrist or neurologist. Once confirmed, then wrist splint will help for mild to moderate case and surgery for moderate to severe cases depending on severity and difficulty in doing adl, s. Cervical radiculopathy ( impingement of nerve in neck) needs to be ruled out.
Last updated Oct 4, 2016