how do you treat bunions in kids?

Dr. Addagada Rao
General Surgery 56 years experience
Shoe is not growing: If bunions occurs in the kids foot is growing faster than the shoe (if it grows) by changing to bigger shoe will help.
Dr. Robert Leland
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 31 years experience
Usually no surgery: Bunions in kids and adults should only be treated if causing pain or functional limitations. Comfortable shoe wear is an easy first option. Surgical correction in kids can be compromised by open growth plates and in most cases is better left until the bones have finished growing. Don't get talked in to surgery by being told that "if left untreated it will get worse.".
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry 14 years experience
Depends: Pediatric bunions or juvenile hallux abducto valgus deformity require a thorough history and clinical examination that includes radiographs to fully evaluate the patient. Recommendations can range from conservative to surgical. The latter is largely not recommended until growth plates have closed. Conservative measures include orthotics and shoe gear modifications.
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry 38 years experience
Good shoes/supports: It depends on a variety of factors. Surgery may be the best treatment if symptoms and deformity warrant aggressive treatment. Certainly conservative care is the first choice. Despite what you may read, bunions are progressive in nature. The deformity does get worse with time. Good shoes and supports can slow down the progression. Don't ignore the deformity, see your foot care specialists. Dr l.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Many options: Treatment options for the management of bunions include conservative and surgical management. Conservative management options include use of orthotic devices, change in shoe wear, medications such as oral no-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (nsaids), steroid injections, padding of corns and calluses, and splinting and strapping.