U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 36-year-old member asked:

how do you treat bunions in kids?

5 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Addagada Rao
General Surgery 56 years experience
Shoe is not growing: If bunions occurs in the kids foot is growing faster than the shoe (if it grows) by changing to bigger shoe will help.
Dr. Robert Leland
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 31 years experience
Usually no surgery: Bunions in kids and adults should only be treated if causing pain or functional limitations. Comfortable shoe wear is an easy first option. Surgical correction in kids can be compromised by open growth plates and in most cases is better left until the bones have finished growing. Don't get talked in to surgery by being told that "if left untreated it will get worse.".
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry 14 years experience
Depends: Pediatric bunions or juvenile hallux abducto valgus deformity require a thorough history and clinical examination that includes radiographs to fully evaluate the patient. Recommendations can range from conservative to surgical. The latter is largely not recommended until growth plates have closed. Conservative measures include orthotics and shoe gear modifications.
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry 38 years experience
Good shoes/supports: It depends on a variety of factors. Surgery may be the best treatment if symptoms and deformity warrant aggressive treatment. Certainly conservative care is the first choice. Despite what you may read, bunions are progressive in nature. The deformity does get worse with time. Good shoes and supports can slow down the progression. Don't ignore the deformity, see your foot care specialists. Dr l.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Many options: Treatment options for the management of bunions include conservative and surgical management. Conservative management options include use of orthotic devices, change in shoe wear, medications such as oral no-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (nsaids), steroid injections, padding of corns and calluses, and splinting and strapping.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 33-year-old member asked:

Is there a support group for children of drug-addicted parents?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Addiction Medicine 43 years experience
Yes: If either parent uses alcohol, the most well developed support group for this purpose is al-anon. If the addiction is to drugs, and no alcohol is involved, the less well developed support group nar-anon would be the best choice. If nar-anon is not available, codependents anonymous would also be useful.
A 28-year-old female asked:

I'm 29 and have irregular periods. Currently i'm on day number 15. (i have 3 kids and a tubal) what's going on?!

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Obstetrics and Gynecology 22 years experience
Lots of options: The next step is a visit to the obgyn for an exam, sonogram and blood work. There are medications such as Lysteda which can help. Some will take birth control pills. A sonogram may show a polyp which can be removed. Others are candidates for an endometrial ablation. This is a safe easy option which can be done in a few minutes in the office. I am a fan of the genesys hta ablation.
A 44-year-old member asked:

Is a cast necessary after having my bunions removed?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 31 years experience
Not often: Most simple procedures while requiring some form of immobilization, a cast is often not necessary. In more complicated procedures a cast may be necessary.
A 30-year-old member asked:

How early must I teach my child healthy eating habits and how do I teach little ones?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Clinical Psychology 18 years experience
Before they are born: Teaching your child healthy eating starts with our own healthy eating. Society provides a regular message to children that encourages eating unhealthy foods. Children's tv is littered with advertisements for sugary cereals and beverages and we have a growing rate of obesity among toddlers. Parents in today's society will have to work hard to provide healthy food messages, modeling is the key.
A 43-year-old member asked:

What are best ways to help kids develop lifelong healthy eating habits?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Family Medicine 59 years experience
Show by example: Show the child what to eat by setting an example of what you eat this is a long process of many months to years. The amount of exercise will also have to be included.

Related questions

A 34-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers15 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated May 18, 2017

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.