What is the best way to treat your bunions?

Dr. Richard Jay
Podiatry 44 years experience
If pain remove it.: Certainly consider conservative care ie orthotics. If it is painful, surgical intervention is indicated. There are many different procedures to correct the deformity. Radiographs are indicated and this will determine the procedure. It may involve a simple removal of the prominence to a more involved procedure to cut or fuse the bone.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 23 years experience
Bunion care: Having bunions can limit your ability to get into regular shoes. Try having your feet measured for more comfortable shoes. Padding, orthoces, steroid injections, and oral anti inflammatory medications may be of benefit conservatively. If all fails surgery may be a good option.
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Podiatry 37 years experience
Surgical Decision: I advise my patients to consider elective surgery when the problem is causing a significant impact on their life. If you don't like the look of the bunions, keep in mind infection or scarring from surgery could make them look worse. However, if they hurt and you are unable to wear shoes and perform daily activities, by all means, discuss surgery with a board certified podiatrist.
Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
Podiatry 24 years experience
Do you mean pain?: See the podiatrist. Question: does it hurt and does it impact your daily activity? Conservative treatments focus on getting rid of the irritation at the bunion that cause the joint inflammation at the site. Topical, oral and injectable medications, orthotics and shoes may be used. If surgery is needed, procedures depend on the severity of the deformity. Individual assessment is key!