U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old member asked:

What is the best way to treat your bunions?

4 doctor answers15 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Jay
Podiatry 44 years experience
If pain remove it.: Certainly consider conservative care ie orthotics. If it is painful, surgical intervention is indicated. There are many different procedures to correct the deformity. Radiographs are indicated and this will determine the procedure. It may involve a simple removal of the prominence to a more involved procedure to cut or fuse the bone.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 23 years experience
Bunion care: Having bunions can limit your ability to get into regular shoes. Try having your feet measured for more comfortable shoes. Padding, orthoces, steroid injections, and oral anti inflammatory medications may be of benefit conservatively. If all fails surgery may be a good option.
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Podiatry 37 years experience
Surgical Decision: I advise my patients to consider elective surgery when the problem is causing a significant impact on their life. If you don't like the look of the bunions, keep in mind infection or scarring from surgery could make them look worse. However, if they hurt and you are unable to wear shoes and perform daily activities, by all means, discuss surgery with a board certified podiatrist.
Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
Podiatry 24 years experience
Do you mean pain?: See the podiatrist. Question: does it hurt and does it impact your daily activity? Conservative treatments focus on getting rid of the irritation at the bunion that cause the joint inflammation at the site. Topical, oral and injectable medications, orthotics and shoes may be used. If surgery is needed, procedures depend on the severity of the deformity. Individual assessment is key!

Related questions

A 39-year-old member asked:
What are the best ways to get rid of bunions without surgery?
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
Best shoes for people with bunions and flat arches?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old female asked:
I have a bunion on my foot that is very painful. Which treatment is best for me?
3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old female asked:
What's the best way to deal with burning sensation in your feet due to bunions?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Feb 6, 2019
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.