U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

Can drinking too much water hurt the lungs?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Andrew Lipton
Holistic Medicine 31 years experience
Water: No, excessive water drinking( gallons) can cause electrolyte disturbance in the body.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 30-year-old member asked:

Is there such a thing as drinking too much water?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Abby Caplin
Integrative Medicine 41 years experience
Yes: It is possible to overhydrate yourself with too much water. I saw this in a patient who had severe anxiety and was compulsively and constantly drinking water. It causes the concentration of sodium in the blood to drop, a condition called hyponatremia, which can affect brain function. Athletes are more susceptible. This is the basic answer. You can google "hyponatremia" for more info.
A 40-year-old member asked:

Is drinking too much water bad for you?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctoranswered
Addiction Medicine 50 years experience
It can be: There is a great deal of controversy on how much water people generally need, but it depends on the climate and how much physical activity you engage in. Generally, people really do not need much free water, because 60% of our food is composed of water&our diet provides enough for most people. If kidneys are normal, excessive water is urinated out. However, water intoxication is serious for some
Last updated Sep 16, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.