I am asking a question about an oral surgury i had. my tooth was extracted. when should my mouth stop hurting?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Mazin Kizy answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Depends: It depends on how difficult the extraction was. Normally about 1 or 2 days if it was an easy extraction but can take up to a week if it was a more difficult extraction. Use the meds your doctor gave you to controll the pain.

Answered 12/19/2014

5.6k views

Dr. James Wright answered

Specializes in Dentistry

It can last ...: Discomfort after a tooth extraction can last for some time, depending on the severity of the situation & the difficulty of the extraction. Aleve, (naproxen) advil, Motrin or for more holistic patients arnica can help reduce swelling & pain. Your doctor can prescription narcotics, to help with symptoms if necessary. Call your dentist for help with pain, a dry socket is possible. Follow-up visit recommended.

Answered 6/30/2014

5.6k views

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Depends: The type of extraction, infection and whether the extraction involved soft tissue or bone too, will help determine the length of time. I would call my dentist and get their opinion directly.

Answered 1/5/2014

4.6k views