How can i prevent impacted teeth?

15 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Charlene Sojico answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

None: There is no way to prevent impacted tooth.

Answered 12/23/2014

5.9k views

Dr. James Wright answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Impacted teeth are..: Impacted teeth are predisposed. In x-rays before teeth have erupted, we are able to see that a tooth or teeth are impacted, coming in sideways, and in many cases, we are able to recommend that these impacted teeth be removed before they cause pain. The gums would be opened surgically to access the tooth prior to eruption. Wisdom teeth are the teeth which we most commonly see impacted.

Answered 9/17/2012

5.6k views

Dr. Daniel Quon answered

Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Consult your dentist: Teeth are impacted because of the position they are developing or because something is obstructing the path of eruption and preventing the tooth from erupting. A thorough evaluation by your dentist, and sometimes by an orthodontist and /or surgeon may be indicated to determine which tooth or teeth are impacted, and if anything can be done to allow the impacted tooth to erupt if indicated.

Answered 9/19/2012

5.6k views

Dr. Kini Tran answered

Specializes in Dentistry

You can't: Impacted teeth is caused by your genetics. It mainly occurs because of a lack of space or room for growth so the teeth will be impacted. Other than the wisdom teeth, sometimes preemptive orthodontics can be done to create the proper space for the impacted tooth growth but it is not guaranteed. Consult with your dentist or orthodontist can give you a more clear answer based on your situation.

Answered 9/19/2012

5.6k views

Dr. Stephen Gordon answered

Specializes in

Choose: Choose different parents ! if the size of your upper and lower jaws is determined genetically and the size of your teeth is determined genetically the mis-match between how large (or small) your jaw is and how large the teeth are creates a situation where there is shorter jaw space than the size of the teeth to occupy that space.

Answered 12/10/2013

5.3k views