Franklin, LA

Is nexium (esomeprazole) effective the day u take it?

Dr. Richard Williams
Pharmacy 19 years experience
Yes and no: You will probably see a reduction in acid production the first day but not for hours after you take it. As far as healing ulcers, or reflux damage, this can take quite a bit of time probably 8 weeks or more. Talk to your physician about what you can take for immediate relief in addition to Nexium (esomeprazole) if you need it.
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 36 years experience
Yes, but...: It will be completely effective the first time you take it at reducing the stomach acid. However, it might take days or even weeks of reduced acid for inflammation already present to be treated. Hope that helps.