Canada

I've never had the chickenpox (proven through bloodwork last week) so they gave me the vaccine. can i get shingles still? or the chickenpox?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology 31 years experience
Unlikely: The vaccine should protect you from contracting chickenpox. If you never have chickenpox, you cannot get shingles.
Yes: The recomendations for this vaccine include 2 doses at least a month apart as only 80%+ are protected by 1.The 2nd dose will bring that up to 95%+. Even with 2 dosses there is a minor risk of cpx but if it happened it would most likely be mild.The vaccine is a weakened form of the cpx virus, and cases of shingles have occurred after its use, but at a lower frequency than wild cpx.

Last updated Nov 23, 2017