I get shingles regularly. Can I have the varicella-zoster vaccine? I wouldn't think so since it's for prevention, but i've heard otherwise.

Dr. Robert Isaacs
38 years experience in Family Medicine
Very unusual: It would be very unusual for a young person who is otherwise healthy to get shingles, let alone recurrent shingles. How has it been diagnosed? A viral culture may help define it with certainty. Please see your doctor as what you are describing isn't normal and should be investigated. If it truly is recurrent shingles then a search for the underlying cause needs to be undertaken.
Answered on Mar 2, 2014