Smyrna, TN

I have cirrhosis. i had an umbilical hernia repaired w/o mesh over a year ago. now i have leakage from my navel. how serious is this?

Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology 29 years experience
See your doctor: Return to your surgeon. You may need to have the repair revised. Any opening that allows fluid to leak is concerning.
Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
Serious: The leakage could indicate an underlying infection and/or failure of the repair. I would definitely recommend returning to your surgeon for re-evaluation.
Dr. Scot Lewey
Dr. Scot Lewey commented
Gastroenterology 38 years experience
Presumably if leaking fluid and have cirrhosis the fluid is ascitic fluid. Leaking ascitic fluid when large amount present with cirrhosis is common after needle drainage & occasionally occurs spontaneously. Treatment of underlying excess fluid/ascites is paramount as well as looking for & treating infection of the fluid aka subacute bacterial peritonitis (SBP). See liver specialist.
Jan 12, 2017
Dr. Norman Cohen
Anesthesiology 37 years experience
Could be: With cirrhosis, fluid can collect in the abdomen. This is called ascites. With enough pressure, this fluid can sometimes leak through the site of a previous surgery, if that site is not fully healed. Drainage of fluid could also be a sign of infection. It is important to have this evaluated by your physician.
Last updated Aug 23, 2017