U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 26-year-old male asked:

Doctor please can a man who is hiv positive get marriage with non infected woman or infected woman and give birth to a child who is hiv negative?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Infectious Disease 26 years experience
Yes: In a perfect world the HIV pos man will be on meds and undetectable. This will decrease transmission by upwards of 90%. The semen can be treated and washed (because its not the sperm that caries hiv.. It's the fluids along with it.). If mother is pos ( being on meds and undetectable is crucial). Caesarian at birth and IV HIV meds for the child have excellent results.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 8, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.