Sometimes when i am about to sleep my legs or whole body jerk waking me up. what causes this and is it something i should be concerned about?

9 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Michael Mull answered

Specializes in

Restless legs: You have a lot of problems for a 37 year old and notice you are not on a statin cholesterol medicine which you should be. Your leg problem could be from restless legs syndrome which can be from low iron levels or just happen. You can treat this with Requip (ropinirole) or sinemet or Klonopin and take iron supplements.

Answered 11/28/2017

4.9k views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Discuss with your: Doctor. It sounds like it may be more than restless leg syndrome. Metformin can cause nightmares & restless sleep. Lisinopril can also impact sleep. You may need a sleep medicine specialist consultation & sleep study (polysomnogram) to find out what is occurring.

Answered 9/5/2014

4.9k views

Dr. Donald Jacobson answered

Specializes in

No cause for worry: This is normal and is called a hypnic jerk. It is benign. www.wikipedia.com has an excellent review of these episodes. Some of literature refers to them as sleep starts. I hope this puts your mind to rest over this issue. Take care and be well.

Answered 8/31/2013

4.9k views