Afghanistan

healthy before probable ischemic stroke at 90. cholesterol high for years, then controlled by crestor (rosuvastatin). daughter stopped it, doctor stopped aspiriin. ?

Dr. Gary Kilgo
Specializes in Neurology
Stroke prevention: The Aspirin may have been stopped by your physician at least temporarily to decrease the chance of GI bleeding. The stroke causes increased stress to your body and there can be an increase in production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Aspirin increases risk of bleeding because it inhibits platelets which are part of the clotting process. Your labs may have also influenced this decision.
Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 44 years experience
Complicated: If you have bleeding, evidence of iron deficiency anemia, stomach upset or frequent nausea, Aspirin is problematic. If not, i'm unclear why your doctor stopped it - perhaps ask him/her? Crestor (rosuvastatin) lowers the risk of stroke. Unless you have gotten muscle aches from it, i would use it. High blood pressure is the biggest risk factor. Is your BP controlled? (but not over-controlled! too low is bad).
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Neurology 39 years experience
May be wise?: Every treatment has risk--i do not know your circumstances, but if you are above 90 and in fairly good health till stroke, you probably doing good you doctor and daughter may have good reason to stop meds ask why? But these meds cause complications-- staying physically active is probably equal in importance.
Dr. Jesus Yap
Cardiology 53 years experience
Either way: Value of lowering cholesterol drugs in preventing cardiovascular events at this advance age is uncertain and so with aspirin. Consider that both drugs have potential serious side effects specially at this age group particularly bleeding , i personally would! not strongly recommend either of both drugs.