Mountain View, CA

my son (5th grade) started at a new school this year and still comes home feeling anxious. any suggestions on how to calm him and improve confidence?

Dr. John Munshower
Be positive: Performance anxiety, new schools etc can all be anxiety causing events in a child. Continue to be a positive influence and encourage your child that things will be fine and to be himself, be nice to all the kids, don't get involved in bullying or 'cliques' and to do well in school. If the anxiety is overwhelming him, he may need to see a child psych/behavior dr. To discuss. Good luck.
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology 45 years experience
Anxiety: Starting a new school with anxiety is very common. Try to connect to other parents, arrange for play dates with other boys in your son's class, also make the guidance department aware that your son is new and struggling as they may be able to help and keep in touch with you as the school days progress. My best.