U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom (Great Britain)
A 26-year-old male asked about a female:

Hi, my mother was prescribed ferrous sulphate 200g, ( iron level is 8). she just had an unusual heavy period lasting 13 days, what can be wrong?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Patterson
Obstetrics and Gynecology 43 years experience
Many things: She needs to have a workup by her gyn as they need to stop her periods hb 8 is very low she may need a hysterectomy or endometrial ablation after she has had a proper work up.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 24 years experience
See gyne ASAP: She should see her gp and ask for referral to see her gynecologist asap. She needs to be examined asap to rule out endometrial /uterine cancer. In addition to clinical exam, imagine study like transvaginal sonogram plus minus ct scan should be considered. Ultimately, biopsy as indicated. If reproductive system is normal, need GI eval to to find out what iron is low. See gynecologist-asap.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 11, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.