Due to my ms, i can't lift my left foot and i have to drag it. ithas been an issue for two years. my neurologist says thati do not have a drop foot. i take 3000 mgs of neurotin quid.what should i do?

Dr. Marlis Gonzalez fernandez
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 13 years experience
Many possibilities: Dragging the foot can be caused by several patterns of weakness. The good news is that even if the reason for the problem cannot be fixed there are many devices (orthoses) that can be used to correct the problem and make walking easier. A medical evaluation by a rehabilitation specialist can help determine the reason for the walking problem and the best way to correct it.
Dr. Chuc Dang
Podiatry 35 years experience
Foot drop in MS: It does sound like you have a left foot drop (foot can't clear the ground), and it isn't improving since it's been 2 years. Foot drop could be caused by ms. However, Neurontin (gabapentin) though usually prescribed for neuritic pain, neuropathy in diabetes or tabes dorsalis) and for tx of seizures/ mvt disorders, is not shown to be effective in a motor nerve dysfuncition such as in foot drop.
Neurology 52 years experience
Have some concerns: Do you have active ms, and do you take a disease modifying agent? How much Neurontin (gabapentin) do you take daily? The maximum daily effective dose is 2400 mg total. Your leg issue may have to do with spinal cord plaque from ms, but were you tested with an EMG to consider peripheral nerve problem? Do you possess a vitamin deficiency? Are there co-morbidities? ?Second opinion?
Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology 19 years experience
Orthotics?: Whatever the cause, a foot drop is disruptive to walking and stair climbing. It can cause falls. If you have worked with a therapist, perhaps they would recommend an ankle orthotic to help prevent accidents. You may not have total ankle dorsiflexion weakness, but even subtle weakness can be disruptive.

Last updated May 19, 2016