Finland

i have bilateral ankle clonus. spine mri was normal. seeing a neurologist soon. could ms-disease cause this by affeting the brain instead of spine?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Yes: Yes, that is one of multiple causes. The presence of clonus suggests that you have "spasticity" which is typically associated with some abnormality of the upper motor nerves of the central nervous system; which includes the brain and the cervical and thoracic spine. Thank you for the question.
Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology 19 years experience
Clonus: Clonus is a sign that suggests the pathway that regulates muscle contraction was disrupted at some time. It is possible that changes in the brain, not the spine, caused this. But consider this- some people are born this way, and it does not mean that you will eventually be found to have MS. If you had clonus in one ankle, maybe I would think otherwise.