UT

Thyroglobulin was checked in april was .6 i and a papillary thyroid cancer patient. when should i retest the tg?

Dr. Marsha Davis
Depends: Different people test at different times, and there is no one right answer. Having had a thyroidectomy, you should be good and a test every 6 months to a year should be good. You should have your thyroid monitored at least every 6 months if it is stable. I see you have had trouble with that in the past. Sometimes it is difficult to regulate in a person with a thyroidectomy.
Dr. Michael Wolfe
Head & Neck Surgery 24 years experience
Variable: Most patients get thyroglobulin checked every 12 months. Every 6 months if there is a worry. I think a trend of increasing levels would be more worrisome. You and your doctors may discuss getting a stimulated level as well as radioactive iodine scan by making you hypothyroid or some may feel getting these tests with thyrogen stimulation could be done.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017