I was diagnosed with tmj due to a sharp pain under my right ear. i currently do not have pain nor does my jaw pop. could this be something else?

11 doctors weighed in across 6 answers

TMJ: Did you get treatment for your TMJ when you were diagnosed? Such as a mouth guard ? If so this may have taken care of the problem. Tmj symptoms come and go.

Answered 6/10/2014

4.9k views

Dr. SHERYL POMERANCE answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Not enough info: Without knowing the range of motion of your jaw muscles, the condition of your teeth, a throat airway score and what other medical conditions are present, there is no simple answer to your question. Jaw joint pain and noise are not necessary to arrive at a diagnosis of tm dysfunction. You should seek a dentist that has extended knowledge of "functional" dentistry.

Answered 8/22/2013

4.9k views

Dr. William Williams answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Cosmetic

Pain below the ear: Likely it is TMJ but eagle's syndrome, ernst syndrome or another possibility exists. Those are calcification of the ligaments of the mandible to the sphenoid and styloid process.

Answered 2/19/2015

4.9k views

Trauma: Hoe often do you have sharp pain? Ever in an auto accident? Ever have clicking or soreness in area after chewing gum or after a meal? Any headaches on that side on awakening or end of work day? Yes to some or all could suggest a TMJ problem. A jva test could screen TMJ - less expensive than MRI and faster and just as diagnostic. Eagles syndrome is possible if you have some tingling or numbness.

Answered 6/10/2014

4.9k views

Time: The oldest of all medicines is to give it time to resolve. In fact many times TMJ symptoms will resolve on their own in time. So it may have been tmj.

Answered 4/17/2015

4.9k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Could be: Possible. If the pain doesn't come back, safe to forget it. If recurrent, see a TMJ expert to confirm. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

Answered 3/20/2015

3.1k views