When i was little, my dad had gum disease. my mom used to worry about it. can you tell me if we still need to worry now that he is older?

Pathology 49 years experience
Does he have teeth?: Gum disease is a common cause of tooth loss. If your father still has his own teeth, continued oral care through a dentist would be advisable.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 33 years experience
Yes: Gum disease is progressive and bacterial. It causes bone loss and subsequent tooth loss. Also it is generally unpleasant as it causes a very undesirable odor in the mouth and can be very offensive to others. Also there is a concern about having bacterial disease in your system although there are differing opinions regarding the effects of periodontal disease on the rest of your body and health.
Dr. Randolph Todd
Endodontics 44 years experience
Yes and No: Gum disease is a bacterial disease related to natural dentition. Many older patients that previously sufferd from gum disease have lost their teeth and wear dentures. Those patients no longer have to worry about gum disease. However if your father was able to retain his teeth he may still have gum disease. Good oral hygiene is the best approach to prevention with regular checkups at the dds.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016