I have 3 cavities, which they told me i may not need anesthesia for 2 of the 3. is this a normal procedure cuz i thought it was always used?

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Not always: Some patients prefer to avoid local anesthesia and usually don't require it. Others want to make sure they are 100% numb even for a pinpoint cavity. Most are somewhere in the middle. Everyone is different and there are no rules or right and wrong. Sweet air (laughing gas) is another alternative or aid. It's quite plausible that for a very small early cavity nothing is required.

Answered 12/10/2013

4.9k views

Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Normal: Anesthesia is not always necessary. It depends on the patient ant the procedure. You may not need an anesthetic, even though you think you might need one.

Answered 8/15/2013

4.9k views

Dr. Richard Pollard answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Talk to dentist: Some dental repairs, including cavities, may not require extensive drilling and so can be done without local anesthesia. Talk to your dentist about your concerns.

Answered 4/24/2015

4.9k views