U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 43-year-old male asked:

An mri revealed a fracture on the condyle of my femur. will it heal on it's own? what can i do to speed recovery? (knee swelling, lost quad strength)

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
Yes: Presumably this is a nondisplaced fracture, otherwise your doctor likely would have recommended some type of intervention, so yes, a nondisplaced femoral condyle fracture will heal on its own. The primary keys to recovery are to work on strength and rom, which you should be able to start at 3 - 4 weeks. Your treating physician will know best as to the timing of your treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Keith Joe
20 years experience
Questionable: So...I am guessing that since the "fracture" was found on an MRI that this wasnt a bad injury. It is possible that you had some bone edema in the condyle (which can be interpreted as a fracture). If this is the case then, treat with a good NSAID (motrin/naprosyn), rest, possibly therapy. If you truly have a fracture this may need surgery or at the least a cast.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Peter Tomasello
Orthopedic Surgery 31 years experience
To me it sounds like you have a bone contusion or a nondisplaced condyle fracture you may want to further have this evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon. To enhance healing I would stay away from an anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen Motrin Aleve Advil. These are notoriously interfere with bone healing. I would also avoid any drink That have phosphoric acid. Calcium supplementation 12 to 1500 mg a day and at least 1000 to 2000 units of vitamin D three per day and a glucosamine product in my opinion would be helpful I would encourage you to drink a lot of water today during the day to prevent any kidney stones unless the above is otherwise medically contraindicated. If your fracture is stable range of motion exercises would be recommended and nonweightbearing until fracture healing Has occurred. I encourage you to seek out an orthopedic surgeon These injuries are generally handled by an orthopedic surgeon. Thank you
Aug 14, 2013
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.