Hamilton, NY

my gfr is 49 and my creatinine level is within normal levels at 12. do i need a second opinion as my gp does not seem to be concerned.

Pathology 44 years experience
I'm not concerned: The GFR estimate derived from the spot creatinine is a crude estimate. Both the pathology and the nephrology community have expressed misgivings about this number being generated routinely at all. The lack of real science is showcased by a different adjustment being used by race "because black people are more muscular than white people." i think your gp's right to ignore it.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
Kidney Disease?: If your GFR was obtained by a 24 hour urine collection for creatinine clearance, you have stage 3 chronic kidney disease (ckd). You should be referred to a nephrologist (n), as at some point you will have some of the chemical abnormalities associated with ckd, these are anemia and elevation of your parathyroid hormone. You will also need to have a renal ultrasound to see the size of your kidneys.

Last updated May 8, 2018