U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

Is there a possibility that more than just a septoplasty will be done for a perforated septum?

4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Dale Tylor
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric 20 years experience
Yes: Septal perforation repair often requires rearranging of the tissue in the region of the perforation. A simple septoplasty would not be enough to take care of a perforation and could make the hole bigger. You really need to talk to your surgeon to discuss the surgical plan and the chances of success. Good luck.
Dr. Lara Devgan
15 years experience
Yes: It is possible. You may require cartilage grafting or local tissue rearrangement as well.
Dr. William Culviner
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 31 years experience
Definitely: You will need local mucosal flaps, transfer of tissue from within the nose to close the hole. Sometimes tissue is harvested from the fascial covering of the muscle behind the ear (temporalis fascia) to cover the hole and then local tissues are used to create a sandwich of tissues to fix the problem. In rare cases, distant transfer of tissue or free flap repair can be done.
Dr. Suzanne Galli
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 25 years experience
Perforated septum: the options for treating a perforated septum are wearing a septal button to block the hole or to undergo surgical repair. It involves more than a standard septoplasty. Have your nose evaluated by a board certified otolaryngologist,

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.