Can cpap be used with a perforated septum? severe obstructive sleep apnea that septoplasty did not help

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery 22 years experience
Having : Having a perforated septum shouldn't be a contra-indication to using a cpap. You may have to be more agressive with keeping your nose moisturized, though.
Dr. Richard Arden
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 38 years experience
I : I agree with dr. Lamperti. The usual moisturizing sprays like ocean nasal and ayr are salin-based and tend to evaporate quickly with shorter contact times. I have found pretz nasal spray to afford more prolonged moisture capability. For severe dryness and crusting problems ponaris can be tried but doesn't tase very good when it drains down. Another possibility for you would be to consider placement of a septal button (such as made by xomed) if the perforation is problematic enough and you don't want to bother with the sprays.
Dr. Randall Viola
35 years experience
CPAP: CPAP is a device which forces air into an obstructed airway. If your surgery did not help, your airway is most likely still obstructed. You should see an ENT for evaluation of your airway. You should continue to use your CPAP if it is working, and have it evaluated if it is not working. Severe sleep apnea can be life threatening. Do not ignore it!
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Yes: Yes. You may need guidance from an ENT doc to help with septal perforation - with or without CPAP treatments. Also, many septal perforations can be treated surgically.

Last updated Nov 27, 2018