why do patients prefer laser cataract surgery?

Dr. Deepak Raja
Ophthalmology 18 years experience
New technology: Lasers are able to perform some steps of the surgery to make the surgeons life easier and the surgery more "perfect". The hope is that perfection gives stable predictable results and the prescription is hopefully very close to what the doctor and patient were expecting.
Dr. Richard Witlin
LASIK Surgery 46 years experience
Precision: Some patients chose to have part of their cataract surgery done with the femto laser making all of the incisions. The laser has the advantage of repeatability and accuracy in making the incisions over manual incisions. It costs more to use the laser and the final visual results are similar with both methods of surgery.
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Ophthalmology 21 years experience
New technology : Laser cataract surgery holds great promise for performing a more precise and safer cataract surgery . Some people are attracted to these claims. Early results are promising but more data is still needed. I have little doubt that laser cataract surgery will be the standard of care but it is still in its infancy
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Ophthalmology 25 years experience
Laser cataract surg.: Femtosecond laser cataract surgery helps with the following: create perfect cut in the front cataract's capsule (capsulorrhexis), make cuts in cataract which decreases total energy (phaco ultrasound) needed to remove the cataract [which may help the long term health of corneal endothelial cells and decrease complication rates: studies pending], decrease astigmatism; see eyedoc2020@blogspot.com