U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old male asked:

Sleep issues. anxiety. what can i do to get back on a proper sleep schedule. asleep at 5am and up at 11am. pains and tension and stress b/c of this.

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctoranswered
42 years experience
CBT and melatonin : The best thing would be to see a sleep psychologist. Call your local sleep lab and they can refer you. You should explore what behaviors got you there in the first place. Being on the internet late at night is most common. It resets your biological clock to make you think it is still light out and therefore not time to sleep. What have just called a circadian rhythm sleep disorder delayed phase type in case you want to look it up on the internet sometime before 8 pm. I then recommend to my patients that they take melatonin two hours before their desired time. The dose is 3 to 6 mg at bedtime. I also recommend that they set the alarm clock to get up one half hour earlier every day through this process until your clock is reset.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali commented
Psychiatry 34 years experience
Sleep psychologist?
Aug 11, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
These are psychologists who are boarded by the American Academy of sleep medicine To practice sleep psychology which is largely cognitive behavioral therapy surrounding all of the various sleep disorders of which there are more than 80.
Aug 12, 2013
Last updated May 15, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.