Riverside, NJ

I am hypothyroid ! my dosage was to high and needed to be adjusted! my tsh was .069 how long will it take to get back to normal levels?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 31 years experience
6 weeks: Depending upon the reference, we usually suggest taking any given levothyroxine dose for at least 6wks prior to (re)checking your tsh. Make adjustments as necessary & then recheck again in another 6wks. While most labs use 0.45 to 4.5 as normal reference range, many specialists aim for somewhere between 1-2 as long as you're feeling good w/o side effects.
Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 42 years experience
If you change: To the correct level, it will take 4-6 weeks to reequilibrate. Make sure you're on brand name T4 replacement, as the generics are unreliable and levels can vary from one month to the next.

Last updated Feb 3, 2015