India

i have been diagnosed hypothyroidism. my t3 (liothyronine) and t4 levels are normal, but my tsh is 46! what dose of eltroxin should i take? please advise .

Dr. Alan Feldman
Endocrinology 41 years experience
It varies: The high tsh, but normal T4 and T3 (liothyronine) show that you have mild hypothyroidism. It is possible that you are recovering from an episode of thyroid inflammation (subacute thyroiditis). If you have symptoms of a low thyroid, it makes sense to start thyroid hormone. The dose varies depending on your size, age, how well you absorb the medication. Usually one starts with a low dose and gradually increase.

Last updated Jan 15, 2015