I am obsessed with brushing my teeth. is this bad?

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Ronald Cohen answered

Specializes in Dentistry

No: This is not necessarily bad, as long as you are using the proper technique and not damaging your teeth/gums/tissue. One of the dentists in our practice also brushes his teeth almost every hour. This is a great habit, but you have to make sure you are not using too much force or a hard bristle toothbrush to avoid causing damage and problems.

Answered 1/21/2017

5k views

Dr. Joel Doyon answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Cosmetic

Yes: It can be especially depending on what you eat. If you have a lot of acidic foods and then immediately brush your teeth, you can be brushing away softened enamel and once it's gone, it's gone forever. Brushing 3 times a day is sufficient and don't apply a lot of pressure to the brush to not erode tooth and brush the gums away.

Answered 8/5/2013

5k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

It can be!: It certainly can be. First, with the word obsessed which by definition is: continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent- it's not healthy to be truly obsessed with anything. If you are conscientious, that's different. Brushing too much can irritate the gums and erode tooth structure, especially if you already have some gum recession. 3x\day is sufficient. Soft tb, circular motion, limit tp.

Answered 4/10/2014

4.2k views

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Can be: Too much brushing, especially if not done correctly, with the proper brush and the health of your gum tissue can be affected by over-brushing. Use soft bristles, learn how to correctly brush- circles, don't press too hard, and non-abrasive toothpaste. An electric toothbrush (sonicare, etc.) may help.

Answered 4/10/2014

4.2k views