what causes the stiffness and discomfort after arthroscopic knee surgery is done for repairing a torn meniscus?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
29 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Normal sequellae: I do not do this procedure, but I do many laparoscopic procedures. I would expect that the normal sequellea to the trauma of the arthroscopy would include some swelling and edema as well as some degree of inflammation. These changes would certainly cause some pain and stiffness, but should be fairly limited and transient.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
2
Dr. Creighton Wright
55 years experience General Surgery
Trauma: To muscles, tendons, joint, meniscus and bony surfaces! the tissues are stretched, cauterized, and bruised.
Answered on Dec 10, 2013
1
3
Dr. David Trettin
32 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
'Stiffness' after arthroscopic meniscal REPAIR is much more common than after arthroscopic menisectomy .When u repair the meniscus( cartilage ) you suture the meniscus back to it's outer ( peripheral)rim. Ideally, this is to the meniscocapsular junction. Since the meniscus has capsular ( joint lining)attachments the knee joint capsule is commonly "tightened" w/ meniscus REPAIR and occ. 'stiffer' .
Nov 1, 2013