When can I hike after knee surgery? I need to go for arthroscopic knee surgery for meniscus repair. I'm planning a vacation in three months to do some moderate hiking. Am i being too optimistic about the recovery period?

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
40 years experience in Internal Medicine
That : That is probably a bit on the optimistic side. This would be something to discuss with the surgeon of course. A meniscal repair as opposed to a debridement would require a much longer period of rest because you want to give the repair a chance to work before you go back to putting your knee to work. If the meniscus is debrided back to a stable border (and not repaired) then there is nothing that would keep you from getting back on the trails even before 3 months.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1