Saint Paul, MN

does anxiety and depresion run in the family, my father had an onset of depresion and commited suicide something went wrong quickly.

Pathology 44 years experience
They often do: The question is really moot. The key is that you recognize that in this case, whatever genes you carry do not predestine you to an untimely death. With today's medications that can manipulate the brain's aften-awry chemistry, and cbt (far more powerful than old unscientific psychotherapy), you'll know to get with a savvy physician should something like this strike you. Be brave & proactive.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
which "old unscientific psychotherapy" are you referring to, here?
Jul 24, 2013
Dr. Gabriela Cora
Nature & Nurture: Anxiety and depression may run in families. While there is a genetic predisposition (nature) there's usually an initial trigger or environmental stressor (nurture). It's important to learn about signs and symptoms of depression and seek support as suicide in the family affects everyone who is left behind. Depression treatment may include a combination of medication, psychotherapy and lifestyle.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Anxiety & Depression: Anxiety & depression do often have genetic linkage, but not genetic "doom." it's important to realize the difference -- especially when a parent has such an illness, and when vulnerability to this can be passed on to children. Knowing this, you can care for yourself, eat & exercise well, avoid alcohol, and connect with others in meaningful ways. Engage in work that calls you. All these help.