U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
New York, NY
A 34-year-old female asked:

Is there a way to permanently shrink or eliminate poc marks/holes on my face from former acne scars from 10 years ago? with a laser or cream maybe?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
Dermatology visit: I'm really sorry that your acne wasn't treated properly and you ended up with scars. A dermatologist can treat these with laser, dermabrasion, filler or microsurgery. Scars won't vanish but can be made less apparent. Creams won't touch it.
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
Provided original answer
By the way... you must have noticed that several well-known Hollywood male stars have kept (and perhaps even cultivated) their acne scars for the "tough guy" look. Remember this as you think about your experience and choices.
Aug 10, 2013
Dr. Gregory Surfield
Surgery - Plastics 21 years experience
Yes: Creams are unlikely to be effective. If you visit a plastic surgeon or dermatologist, laser resurfacing, chemical peels, fillers, fat grafting or scar excision would be some of the options.

Related questions

A 19-year-old female asked:
Any treatment for acne scars other than lasers, such as chemical peels or creams?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
How many visits is laser scar removal for face acne?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jan 8, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.