U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Grants Pass, OR
A 25-year-old female asked:

I want to get rid of deep acne scars.do i need microdermabrasion, chemical peels or laser therapy? i have tried pills from dr & creams even blue light

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 46 years experience
Professional help: I am sorry you tried worthless cures, and if someone charged you money for "blue light" therapy, I would urge you to contact your local prosecuting attorney. Pills and creams won't touch these. You'll need to get with a specialist dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a filler, microsurgery, or laser work. Especially, if you see a kid whose acne is being neglected, say something. Best wishes.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gustavo Diaz
Facial Plastic Surgery 32 years experience
Resurfacing: Skin resurfacing by a chemical peel, laser peel, or dermabrasion will be the only ways to improve on severe acne scaring. Of them i prefer dermabrasion for acne scaring because you can "shave" the top of the skin (mountains) more efficiently while leaving the scar tissue (valleys) untouched. this way the difference between the valleys and the mountains is decreased. Hope this helps.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 12, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.