A male asked:

Should i have laser therapy to erase my acne scars if i still have areas of it on my face? i've had acne on my chin and forehead for several years now, and i'd like to try laser treatments to deal with the scarring. can i have this done even if i'm still

Dr. James Seward
Dermatology 23 years experience
Yes, : Yes, that should be fine as long as the break outs aren't too bad. Ask your dermatologist for their thoughts. I typically do try to get the acne reasonably controlled prior to any laser treatment. Also, you shouldn't have any facial procedures performed if you have taken Accutane within the last 6 months. The laser treatment will probably take a few treatments but can often improve (not make perfect) the texture and scarring from previous acne.
Dr. Kenneth Stein
42 years experience
Acne scarring: It is best if the acne is under control. Laser treatment can be effective in areas where there is not active acne. If there is active acne , the scars may just recur.
Dr. Joshua Fox
Dermatology 40 years experience
Treat Acne scars: Certain lasers or procedures may be best if there is still active acne. Smooth beam laser treats both the acne and the scars with the e laser. Chemical peels depending on the case may ailso be helpful. If there is not too much active acne you can often proceed with the ' best ' laser for the specific acne scars.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016