United Kingdom

I am 51 year old women my serum amylase level is 141 what is the reason my ultrascan and ct scan was ok what other reason to be serum level high?

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 52 years experience
Depends: The normal range is 23 to 85 units per liter (u/l). Some laboratories give a range of 40 to 140 u/l. Pancreatitis also affects lipase level.Was this elevated?Ct and ultrasound may not detect mild changes in pancreas.Risk factors of pancreatitis include gallstone disease and heavy alcohol consumption.Elevation of amylase causes aspirin, birth control pills, cholecystitis, gall stones, panc. Cancer.
Dr. Ahmad Saab
High amylase: This could be due to pancreatitis or a problem with salivary glands. You need to check lipase. If lipase is high it is due to pancreatitis.

Last updated Feb 2, 2018