Canada

I used johnsons baby lotion on my 5 week old baby. he developed acne on face. not sure i its heat rash or acne. how to check and what's the treatment.

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology 46 years experience
Doubt acne.: Babies don't have the hormones needed to cause acne. And 5 weeks is too old to still have maternal hormones. Allergy or irritation to some component of the lotion is a possibility. Stop the lotion. If the rash doesn't go away promptly, you'll need to check with your doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Your PCP/Peds : Babies often get a transient "baby acne" that is not present at birth (bathed in the waters of the womb) but comes out at a few weeks & lasts a few months.It is thought to result from maternal hormone effect which gradually declines as the baby ages.It will generally disappear without specific treatment.I avoid lotions for babies.I think it aggravates their acne and leads to more bathing & dry skn.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 38 years experience
Avoid lotion face: I would advise avoiding johnsons baby lotion on the face. It is not needed. Baby acne is secondary to hormonal changes and usually resolves spontaneously.
Last updated Oct 4, 2016