I have a sharp throbbing pain under my finger nail that is touch and temperature sensitive, what could this be?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
Difficult diagnosis: Might be herpes but not being able to examine the area makes this difficult to exclude slivers of foreign material which might have gotten under the nail, or a variety of other entities.
Dr. Michio Abe
Fingernail pain: The throbbing pain under the fingernail could be due to the pressure building between the nail and the nail bed, possibly due to bleeding under the nail (sublingual hematoma) or infection of the skin surrounding the nail (paronychia). It would be wise to see a doctor for evaluation.

Last updated Aug 4, 2018