NY

I had a partial nephrectomy in 2008. my lab results were normal for bun and creatinine however bun/creatinine ratio was high (25). should i be concern?

Dr. David Hicks
No: Many times the ratio is high but relative to the individual values a low normal creatinine and a high normal BUN will show an abnormal ration but would be normal individual numbers. The benefit ais thta it makes one look at the numbers more carefully but is not used for a diagnosis.
Pathology 49 years experience
Agree with Dr. H: You may wish to check your eGFR, if that is normal, i. e. above 90, you need not be concerned about the ratio.

Last updated Dec 17, 2018