Old root canal without crown now has cavity. should i opt for crown lengthening with filling and crown or pull it and get an implant?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Your choice: Both treatment options are viable. Can't tell how strong your actual tooth is, but i always prefer to restore natural teeth, if possible. There are no guarantees either way, and if the implant has difficulty integrating into your bone, you will be stuck without a tooth. Extract only if unrestorable.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Crystal ball?: I agree with the answers given by both my esteemed colleagues. We as dentists are trying to look forward and guess about the long term outcomes of our treatment. Each option may fail or work. If we knew ahead of time, we could give you the right answer. I have seen treatment that should fail be successful and treatment that is considered the right choice, fail. If you trust your dr, listen.
Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dentistry 21 years experience
Implant: Without a doubt. If you are a candidate for dental implant then it's your best option. With 95 percent seccses rate you are making an informed decision. See an implant specialist and ask all your questions.
Dr. John Rohm
Cosmetic Dentistry 34 years experience
Depends: It does depend on the strength of the tooth. Generally if a tooth has a root canal it had multiple fillings before this possibly a fracture -it is compromised already even after all the time and financial commitments of restoring, the chances of that tooth surviving 3 -5 years is not great. Then you are back to getting an implant. I try not to pay for things twice, but it is a decision between you.

Last updated Nov 27, 2017