old root canal without crown now has cavity. should i opt for crown lengthening with filling and crown or pull it and get an implant?

5 doctor answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Your choice: Both treatment options are viable. Can't tell how strong your actual tooth is, but i always prefer to restore natural teeth, if possible. There are no guarantees either way, and if the implant has difficulty integrating into your bone, you will be stuck without a tooth. Extract only if unrestorable.
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
41 years experience Periodontics
An ethical dilemma: Only a careful examination can allow this question to be answered by me. When I have this situation with a patient, i ask: "if we do crown lengthening and a crown and later you lost the tooth, would you be upset or are you the patient that says i want to do whatever i can to keep my tooth as long as i can?" think about which you are and it may help you decide. Good luck.
Answered on Dec 17, 2014
2
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
Crystal ball?: I agree with the answers given by both my esteemed colleagues. We as dentists are trying to look forward and guess about the long term outcomes of our treatment. Each option may fail or work. If we knew ahead of time, we could give you the right answer. I have seen treatment that should fail be successful and treatment that is considered the right choice, fail. If you trust your dr, listen.
Answered on Dec 10, 2013
Dr. Kayvon Javid
19 years experience Dentistry
Implant: Without a doubt. If you are a candidate for dental implant then it's your best option. With 95 percent seccses rate you are making an informed decision. See an implant specialist and ask all your questions.
Answered on Dec 10, 2013
Dr. John Rohm
Dr. John Rohm answered
32 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Depends: It does depend on the strength of the tooth. Generally if a tooth has a root canal it had multiple fillings before this possibly a fracture -it is compromised already even after all the time and financial commitments of restoring, the chances of that tooth surviving 3 -5 years is not great. Then you are back to getting an implant. I try not to pay for things twice, but it is a decision between you.
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
1