sealing preexisting fillings to prevent new cavities all the cavities i get are not new but underneath my old fillings. is there a way to use a sealant around the outside edges where a cavity meets the tooth to stop this?

3 doctor answers
24 years experience Psychiatry
I : I believe you are asking if sealing a filling will help if a new cavity has formed underneath an old filling. If there is new decay, usually the old filling will need to be removed so that the underlying decay can be treated.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Howard Schneider
33 years experience Pediatric Dentistry
That depends: Sealants can not be used around silver amalgam fillings. Sealants can not be used if there is already decay under or around an existing filling. If an exisiting composite filling has a small defect on a margin it can sometimes be repaired with sealant before any new decay developes.
Answered on Jan 16, 2013
Dr. Gary Chapman
34 years experience Orthodontics
No: Recurrent decay (cavities under fillings) is caused by leakage betewwn the tooth and filling material. It is also caused by improper hygiene practices. Recurrent decay must be dealt with by removing the existing failing filling and affected tooth structure. The dentist then restores the tooth with a new filing or crown. The decay must be cleaned out completely before the new filling is placed.
Answered on Feb 13, 2013