Ten days out surgery to repair both meniscus in left knee, ankle and foot swollen. sonogram for clot negative. what to do for normal?

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology 26 years experience
Elevation: Keep your foot elevated when possible. When in bed put a pillow under it. Talk to your surgeon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Matthew Keast
Podiatry 32 years experience
Rest, ice & elevate!: Some swelling after surgery is normal. The amount and location may not be. The type of surgery is important, but post-op care is a very big factor. Simple ice and elevation with range of motion exercises when called for can prevent or reduce swelling. Sometimes rest alone with elevation of the feet to eye level for several days will do it. Joint surgery usually requires motion to heal properly.
Dr. Frank Smith
Podiatry 31 years experience
Call your surgeon: I dont treat knee's but I do perform surgery on feet and ankles. If your having a post operative complication which you may be experiencing you need to contact your surgeon asap. This may or may not be normal after that type of surgery
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Podiatry 37 years experience
Swelling: Always contact your surgeon for concerns. The fact that the test for a clot was negative is good. Speak to your surgeon about compression for the edema. A lot of my patients have ad knee surgery and many do not have compression therapy as part of their recovery , but need it . See your surgeon.
Last updated May 12, 2019