A member asked:

I have semi-serious knee problems for someone my age-24. i play sports but often have pain afterwards. what can i do to make them more resilient?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Charles Miller answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

First, it's important to know what you have in the way of past injuries, and what's been done. If you still have pain, is it improving or is it an issue that has not been diagnosed or treated? Determining the cause of the pain and making sure that whatever is recommended to "make the knees more resilient" is the first best step. I wish i could be more informative, but you moving forward.

Answered Jun 14, 2013



Still have questions?

Get the best care from a doctor who knows you.

Book a Video Appointment
Sponsor Content
Dr. Lauren Elson answered

Specializes in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

Most knee pain in young athletes can be reduced by working with a sports-oriented physical therapist that can design an individualized program for your symptoms. Most commonly, gluteus medius strengthening and quad/hamstring co-contraction work can protect the knees and decrease symptoms. See a sports med doc for further guidance.

Answered Sep 11, 2013



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor