I have semi-serious knee problems for someone my age-24. i play sports but often have pain afterwards. what can i do to make them more resilient?

Dr. Charles Miller
Orthopedic Surgery 45 years experience
What's happened?: First, it's important to know what you have in the way of past injuries, and what's been done. If you still have pain, is it improving or is it an issue that has not been diagnosed or treated? Determining the cause of the pain and making sure that whatever is recommended to "make the knees more resilient" is the first best step. I wish i could be more informative, but you moving forward.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Lauren Elson
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 18 years experience
Physical therapy: Most knee pain in young athletes can be reduced by working with a sports-oriented physical therapist that can design an individualized program for your symptoms. Most commonly, gluteus medius strengthening and quad/hamstring co-contraction work can protect the knees and decrease symptoms. See a sports med doc for further guidance.
Last updated Sep 11, 2013