U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
New Hartford, NY
A 59-year-old female asked:

What type of shoes to wear w orthotics for overpronation? many women's shoes slip up & down at back esp. when original footbed is replaced w orthotic.

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry 13 years experience
Shoes are like cars.: There are makes and models: if a certain shoe doesn't work for you, don't think the whole brand is bad. You might have been trying on an "suv" when really you want a "compact". Some brands to try (this list is not exhaustive by any means, tho!): new balance, brooks, asics, saucony, mizuno.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Podiatry 36 years experience
Shoes: There are many shoe brands out there and no one is the best. Usually the best type of shoe to use with orthotics is an athletic type of shoe or walking shoe. These have a lot of foot knowledge built into them and work well with orthotics. Good luck !
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle commented
Orthopedic Surgery 55 years experience
buy from a big supplier as Scheels, they have a great return policy. B 4 U leave the store B sure they fit and R comfortable. keep Ur receipt , tho I returned a pair of Nike's that felt good but later were not, I returned them 2 Scheels no receipt, 6 mo later & got $100 USD credit at customer service counter & bought new ones.
Sep 6, 2013
Last updated Sep 6, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.