A member asked:

Should i see a specialist for pneumocystis infection, or can my regular doctor take care of it?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Colin Kerr answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Pneumocystis: Best to see a specialist since this is a pretty uncommon infection and most general doctors will have little experience in managing it, unless they do a lot of hiv/aids work or cancer treatment. The other reason to see a specialist is that most pneumocystis occurs in the context of a disease that impairs your immune system, and this needs to be evaluated as well.

Answered 2/17/2012


Dr. John Leander Po answered

Specializes in Infectious Disease

Depends who it is...: Depending on the reasons for getting pneumocystis and if your regular doctor is qualified (eg. Certified by the aahivm or belongs to hivma), he/she can also take care of it. In certain parts of the country, there are enough id specialists that can take care of patients with pneumocystis since many also require help in managing co-morbid conditions such as HIV or rheumatoid arthritis.

Answered 9/28/2016



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor