U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 41-year-old member asked:

What kind of doctor sees somebody for bartholin's abscess or cyst?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Specializes in Gynecology
Gynecologist: Gynecologists are trained in the management of Bartholin's cysts and abcesses. These can be treated with minor surgical procedures that can be performed in the office. In my opinion, it is better to marsupialize these in the office rather than to just drain them. The procedure is a little more involved than drainage, but recurrence is far less.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Rebecca Gray
Obstetrics and Gynecology 16 years experience
Gynecologist: Bartholin's glands are located in the side walls of the vagina. Sometimes they duct that drains the gland can become blocked and a cyst forms. This cyst may then become infected and form an abscess. Gynecologists see these often and they can be easily drained in the office, if necessary.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Similar questions

A 37-year-old member asked:

Is there anything I can get from the grocery store or drug store for my Bartholin's abscess or cyst until I can see a doctor?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 51 years experience
NO,NO: The treatment can depend on one or more of these factors: the size of the cyst, how painful it is, if it is infected, and the patient's age. In some cases, a small cyst can simply be observed over time to see if it grows. In other cases, the doctor can perform a minor procedure in the office, in which a small tube is inserted into the cyst]and inflated to keep it in place.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 20-year-old female asked:
What happens if you have an infected Bartholin cysts or abscess and it ruptures?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
Does oral sex cause the Bartholin's cyst abscess?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Apr 2, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.