U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 16-year-old female asked:

So i have a bartholin's cyst. i think it has become an abscess and right now it is bleeding. what should i be doing?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 32 years experience
Go see ur family doc: Warm compresses are reasonable to apply to suspected infections such as abscesses (pus pockets). Ice is best for injuries. Abscesses don't usually bleed but rather can cause pain & may drain pus. Best to go see your family doc for complete evaluation. You may need an I&D (incision & drainage) to allow pus to come out. Sometimes antibiotics are offered. If this recurs, consider marsupialization.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A member asked:
Is there an over-the-counter treatment for Bartholin's abscess or cyst?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
I may have Bartholin's gland cyst abscesses. What do they look like?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 20-year-old female asked:
What happens if you have an infected Bartholin cysts or abscess and it ruptures?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
Can a Bartholin's cyst cause irregular vaginal bleeding?
1 doctor answer11 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jun 23, 2018
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.