are the symptoms of eyelid swelling bad?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology 26 years experience
They may be: Eyelid swelling usually produces tenderness, decreased ability to move the lid, warmth and firmness. If the swelling is severe, it can be rather painful. Any eyelid swelling that does not resolve within a day or that is painful should be immediately evaluated by an eye doctor.
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Rarely, but can be: If the swelling is only from a small stye, then usually not a big deal, and hot compresses can help. Rarely, swelling can be a sign of serious infection around the eye. Especially in children, this must be approached as an urgent situation.