For what reasons when i lay down i can hear my heart beat?

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Cardiology 51 years experience
Heart beat : Sound transmits very readily through solids, this is why you hear your heart when your ear is on the pillow.

United Kingdom

Why can I hear my heart beat at night laying down?

Dr. Stanley Berger
Cardiology 33 years experience
Tinnitus: Hearing your heart beat in your ear, called tinnitus, is often benign however there are rare disorders that you should discuss with your doctor to determine if a specialist check-up (ENT) is in order. Some people are more sensitive to the rush of blood through the blood vessels near the ear and this is what causes tinnitus. Some may also just hear the heart beat at quiet times & this is benign.

Why do I constantly hear my heart beat?

Dr. Robert Binford
Thoracic Surgery 38 years experience
Depends: You should see you doctor and get it checked out. Can you hear it all the time or at night when it is quiet? What does it sound like? Is it in one ear or both? This could be nothing to worry about or it could mean a blockage in a carotid artery or aortic valve. Your doctor and you can figure it out with a detailed history, exam and may be a few tests.
Ottawa Lake, MI

Where can you hear your own heart beat at ?

Dr. Moneil Patel
General Practice 17 years experience
Pulses: You can feel your own heart beat at several places, but typically where your arteries are closest to the skin. This includes on the thumb side of your wrist on both sides, the carotid arteries in your neck, behind your knee (popliteal) and on the top of your foot. (pedal). You will need a stethoscope to "hear" your heartbeat.

Last updated May 15, 2017